12.8.08

It seems to me a book that somebody should have written a century ago ...



"I'm not concerned to get any kudos out of [The Gutenberg Galaxy]. It seems to me a book that somebody should have written a century ago. I wish somebody else had written it. It will be a useful prelude to the rewrite of Understanding Media [the 1960 NAEB report] that I'm doing now.




The original cover for the work exhibits two interlocking G’s (a smaller “G,” in reverse, inside the curvature of the lager) in the image of a Vortex: “The structural theme of Spiral presents the oscillation of two simultaneously and complementary cones or spirals, constituting the synchronic worlds of birth and death. Spiral is not a diachronic or lineal structure but synchronic and contrapuntal interplay in a resonating structure whose centre is everywhere and circumference nowhere,” (Sorel Etrog, and Marshall McLuhan, Images from the Film Spiral (Toronto: Exile Editions, 1987), 125).